Our Journey Becoming More Sustainable and Giving Back to the Community
Dec 13, 2021
When Kostas decided to start Student Essentials three years ago, he had the students community in mind. Until today, students keep being the centre of what we do as the company grows, and Student Essentials has started to collaborate with other businesses run by students or for students. Below are some of the businesses we are proud to support:
Sanmarie and Tom started Bazoo while studying their final year at Exeter University. Both of them have a deep enthusiasm for the environment and they aim to create the world’s first and only carbon-negative toilet paper. With this in mind, they started their research and business from their parents home during the pandemic lockdown and launched the business. Student Essentials has since included Bazoo's 100% tree-free rolls in the cleaning pack. These are the reason why we pick Bazoo over other toilet rolls:
- they are carbon negative and certified partners of Climate Care
- made from 100% bamboo with no other nasties
- all bamboo is sustainably grown and harvested
- manufacturing process follows strict health & safety regulations
- Their wrapper design is oh, so cute! It features endangered animals due to deforestation and you can reuse their wrapper as a gift wrapper. Isn't it cool?
Blue Earth Clean
Blue Earth Clean was born to solve the problem of bulky and wasteful (even expensive) laundry products. On average, Europeans buy 15 laundry products a year, imagine how much plastic waste we can save from simply taking away the packaging. BEC's highly effective all-in-one laundry leaves dissolve in water, creating safe and powerful laundry detergent to spotlessly wash your laundry. Not only do they make your laundry smells amazing, but they are also packed in eco-friendly reusable, refillable and recyclable packaging. Here is why we included their laundry sheets in our Student Essentials' cleaning pack:
- CO2-neutral packaging
- less plastic waste
- clean and nice smelling laundry
- fuss-free, just toss the sheet in the washing machine and start your laundry
- small and space-saving, perfect for teeny tiny laundry room
Help Me Angela
Help me Angela is an app you can rely on for your safety. The app tracks your whereabouts and provides solutions when you feel unsafe. It is a 24/7 Guardian Angel in the palm of your hand – just press the Help Me button and one of our Personal Safety Specialists will try to call you immediately.
Here's why we are advocating for them:
- all these safety features are only for £2.99 a month
- if anything happened, they have live operator support ready 24/7
- you can add your family members or close friends so they know your whereabouts and they won't need to pay the subscription.
The Salvation Army
Besides collaborating with more sustainable brands, we are also giving back to the community. Every year we donate our overstock of unused bedroom, bathroom and kitchen packs to those in need and help support 16-25 year olds who are homeless through the Salvation Charity.
The Salvation Army is famous for its work with people who have fallen on hard times: it offers help to the elderly, the young, offenders, drug addicts and blind and disabled people; it provides food and shelter for the homeless and operates food distribution centres
We have taken the initiative to provide monthly donations to "Student Minds", the UK’s student mental health charity.
We're aware that there's a long way to go to become a fully sustainable brand, but we are putting in our best effort and we believe slowly is the fastest way to go.